photo: Monastiraki, Athens, Greece, December 2000


Our more than a dozen years together have taken us to many destinations both near and far.
The next dozen will be even better!


To Faith: "There's only ONE thing TO say, THREE words FOR you, I love you"

-Plain White T's 1,2,3,4

Friday, June 11, 2010

Aigio, Greece, December 2000

On our trip to Greece, Faith and I visited Aigio and took a little side-trip up into the mountains. In an out-of-the-way spot we stopped and asked the taxi driver to take our picture. 

OK, it was out-of-the-way on purpose since there's an ancient monastery in these mountains :)

Aigio is a town on the southern shore of the Corinthian Gulf where my dad and grandma were born.  This is a shot from the balcony of our hotel looking north across the gulf towards mainland Greece.

We visited some of the places where my family's history was made.  My Dad was baptized in the beautiful white church on the hill.  Here at the water's edge, for Epiphany, the priest throws a cross into the ocean and then the kids dive in and get it.  The one with the cross gets a year of good luck and blessings.


My aunt, uncle, and cousin still live in Aigio in the house my great-grandfather built.  The town was built on multiple levels starting from the sea and working up the mountain.  I might be biased, but I think it's a beautiful place to take a walk with your sweetheart :)

No comments:

Post a Comment